WELCOME!

Welcome to my blog! I hope to be a resource to help you in your walk with God. Now more than ever we need to get back to the basic fundamentals of moral living and take a stand for what is right and truthful with God as our ultimate authority. His Word is reliable and preserved and can be trusted, so that is the basis for my advice and teaching. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or topics you would like me to cover. I look forward to sharing what God has placed on my heart. See my website at https://www.lovinggodministry.com/ for books and music I have written that will enrich your life!

Ezekiel 22:30: "And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none." Let's stand in the gap together!

Thursday, August 1, 2013

"Oh, be careful little mouth what you say..."

Have you ever heard that children's song, perhaps in Sunday School?  It goes like this:

Oh, be careful little mouth what you say, 
Oh, be careful little mouth what you say,
For the Father up above is looking down with love,
So be careful little mouth what you say.

It has other verses, too, such as, "be careful little feet where you go", "be careful little hands what you do", "be careful little eyes what you see", etc. - you've got the picture!  What great advice, even for teens and adults!  Talk about getting down to the basics of life!

We like to talk about living responsibly.  We teach our children to be responsible and dependable, to clean up after themselves, to work hard, to be honest, and kind.  But let's stop and reflect for a moment on our tongues. 

I was reading in my devotions this morning from the book of James, chapter 3. Listen to what the Bible says about the tongue:

James 3:5-6: "Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things.  Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell."

Wow! Strong words!  But think about it!  The preceding and following verses talk about he we tame wild animals and marine life, and yet no one can tame the tongue.  We steer huge ships with a small helm, and mighty horses with a small bit.  Even though our tongue is so small, it can "steer" us into a lot of trouble, or a lot of goodness!  Out of the same mouth comes blessing and cursing.  One minute we can be encouraging someone, and the next minute we are gossiping and tearing down someone's reputation!

James 3:2: "For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body."

Do you have control of your tongue?   Proverbs 15:1: "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger."  Have you noticed how you get a response from people by the way you speak to them?  HOW you say something is so important.  On the same token, what we WRITE is also important, because while it's not verbally spoken, it has the same impact. The Declaration of Independence took a long time to write because they wanted to get it right.  It is worth the time to make sure how you write or say something is how you truly want to come across.  

James 3:13: "Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth."

Do you desire to be wise?  Honest? True? Knowledgeable? It starts with a pure heart, and will manifest itself out of your mouth.  

Did you ever hear the expression, "Fake it 'till you make it"? I've had a situation recently where I was upset with someone, and almost lashed out on that person because it caused a grievance to me.  I gave it some time, and realized as I truly didn't know the whole situation, and as I thought about it more, I became even more honest with myself and realized that person was not wrong, even if it was done the way I thought it was done.  I was just mad at the outcome, and even at myself for something I had done that contributed to the outcome. I wanted to release my frustration on that person several times, but instead was friendly to them. You know what happened? They were friendly back! Then we ended up having a wonderful conversation, and I was able to encourage and rejoice with that person for some things going on in that person's life. I felt so happy, and all that anger and frustration seemed to disappear!  I chose life, I chose kindness, and while at first I didn't feel like it, I was so glad I did because I saved myself from embarrassment and maybe even a bad reputation had I lashed out (and believe me, it seemed justified to me AT THE TIME).  I also could have hurt that person, who I believe was well meaning, and damaged our relationship. If there was something that did truly need to be corrected, it would be more appropriate to wait until my anger dissipated and look at things objectively and find a real solution in a kind and productive way.

James 3:17-18: "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace."

People think that peace means everyone giving up what they think is right and allowing the world to take its course without anyone judging anyone else.  True peace comes from inside the individual when you are doing what your Maker created you to be, a defender of what is right, and putting aside selfishness, anger, bitterness, wicked desires, and choosing life and hope and love...and truth.  Speak the truth in love (Eph. 4:15), and put actions to it as you make the world a better place. Start with your heart, admit your faults, confessing to God your sins, and then let the goodness flow from the tongue in a positive way, to put forth pure words rather than poison, sweetness rather than bitter, fruit instead of prickers. You'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment