WELCOME!

Welcome to my blog! I hope to be a resource to help you in your walk with God. Now more than ever we need to get back to the basic fundamentals of moral living and take a stand for what is right and truthful with God as our ultimate authority. His Word is reliable and preserved and can be trusted, so that is the basis for my advice and teaching. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or topics you would like me to cover. I look forward to sharing what God has placed on my heart. See my website at https://www.lovinggodministry.com/ for books and music I have written that will enrich your life!

Ezekiel 22:30: "And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none." Let's stand in the gap together!

Thursday, July 21, 2016

A Summertime Teen Challenge

I'm reading a great book this summer called, Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris.  I highly recommend it!  I bought it for my teenage daughter a few years ago by her request!  She had read it at school and wanted to own the book so she could reread it.  She also got the sequel to it, Start Here by the same authors.  It clarifies a myth about adolescence: that it is a time to party and have fun, and you better get in all you can before you have to become an adult and spoil all the fun!

Some people have a failure to launch, and go into their 20's, 30's, and even 40's or beyond never launching into adulthood.  There is even a name for that: Kidults.  They view adulthood and maturity as bad, as a party pooper spoiling all their fun, and hard work as the enemy.  We do see trends in our culture of selfishness, laziness, and despisers of those who impose hard work upon us.

In times past it was not like that.  There wasn't even such a thing as the word "teenager."  You were a child or you were an adult.  This is a more contemporary thing we as a society have created over the past few decades.  1 Corinthians 13:11 says: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."  Once you are no longer a child, you become an adult.  As a young adult, you have energy and enthusiasm to do hard things, great things, wonderful things to prepare you for mightier things!  Think of what you can accomplish if you take advantage of these years now to study, learn another language or an instrument, work as an intern at a business you could see yourself in one day, build your character, strengthen yourself, prepare so that when you finish school, you have some experience under your belt and a mindset for accomplishing great things.

Too many adults have regrets of their younger years.  They have lost relationships because they didn't have the skills they needed to succeed.  They wasted time when they could have invested their money in the right places, working hard to earn while they could.  They were left behind by others who did take advantage of that time and have passed them in the marketplace.  They have a desire to do something but can't get past themselves and their laziness in order to start over.  But the good news is that it's never too late to start.  Many adult learners go back to college, they work hard to make something of themselves.  However, it's often more complicated because they have a family, they have to juggle work and school, they don't have much money, and they have further obstacles that wouldn't have been there had they prepared themselves earlier on.

History is filled with teens who started doing great things in their teen years, such as Clara Barton and George Washington.  You don't usually hear about that, but there are many in history who did not look at their youth as an excuse to delay adulthood, but rather to start now doing something of significance.  Their age did not deter them, and because they didn't have a low expectation of themselves, neither did anyone else.  Even Alex and Brett Harris did some amazing things in their teen years that you can read about in their book.  It's very inspiring because it's not out of reach.  We all can step out of our comfort zones and accomplish something great - it's exhilarating!

My challenge to you teens out there is to think ahead, think about how you picture yourself in five or ten years, and take steps now to begin that journey.  You don't have to wait until you're "grown up."  Read, prepare, do something that will propel you in that direction.  Adults, you can do the same.  Start now, start right where you are and begin to prepare for something great for your life.  Begin by praying about it, and asking God for His wisdom and guidance for what would be best for your life according to His will.  Then give God the glory for what you have been able to accomplish.

I decided to go back to school as an adult.  I had a family already, two young daughters and a husband.  I went to school as a secretary and was one for 10 years, but wanted to do more.  My dad was retired, so was able to babysit, and I went part time taking a course or two each semester.  I was in my 20's and 30's.  It took me 11 years, but I became an ICU nurse, a PACU nurse while getting my education (became an RN first), then eventually a nurse practitioner in family practice.  Now I am able to work part time doing what I love, and making a decent salary so I can work in ministry on my days off doing what I'm passionate about.  I wouldn't be able to afford financially doing the ministry alone.  Those years of hard work paid off in spades because working for one dream made other dreams of mine come true that I thought were beyond my reach.  I figured, "Where will I be in five or ten years?"  If I'm still alive, I will be somewhere in five or ten years, whether I like it or not!  The time will come and the time will go.  I have some say over which path those years will take me, again, seeking God's wisdom and will through it all.

As far as partying, killing your brain cells on drugs and alcohol, living a promiscuous life of unsolicited sex - it's a myth that you deserve this, that it's what the teen years are for.  What that's for is damaging your body and mind, the temple of God He has entrusted to you, and causing yourself diseases, regrets, and memories that you cannot erase.  You can have fun at any age by keeping it clean, wholesome, and healthy, and not allowing it to dominate your life.  You can hang out with friends at a frozen yogurt shop rather than a bar.  You can join a youth group and go to Six Flags with people who have high ambitions and know how to have a good time without damaging themselves or others.  You can stand for what's right and for a good cause by rescuing animals or volunteering at a nursing home or getting politically involved in such a way to better other Americans rather than joining a cause that is destructive to humans or property.  YOU make that choice.  Make it a good one, and be super proud of it as you roll up your sleeves, shed a little sweat, and work hard for the glory of Jesus Christ.  You won't have regrets; you'll have powerful, amazing memories that will launch you into harder things, greater things, and mightier things that will make a lasting difference in this world because you weren't afraid to try.  That, my friend, is truly satisfying, failures and all, just knowing that you are trying and learning from your mistakes and moving in the right direction, leaving a legacy and an example.  Life is a journey; the ups and the downs come along with the ride and make it interesting!  Embrace life and the goodness of hard work!

Lamentations 3:27: "It is good for a man that he bear the yoke in his youth."

God bless you as you decide how to spend the rest of your summer.  Here is a link to Alex and Brett Harris's website with a video trailer with links so you can order the books if you want.  There are also endorsements and links to other resources available on that site. They have a great blog on there as well.  I have no financial connection to them; I just think it's a great book, and I'm enjoying reading it myself and getting more inspired to do great things!  They call it the "rebelution", a teen rebellion against low expectations that society has put on young people.  Teens everywhere are rebelling against those lies and myths and low standards, and showing the world that they can be exemplary.  Their theme verse is a great one: 1 Timothy 4:12: " Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity."   http://therebelution.com/books/do-hard-things/

I also written a character-building book called, I Will Stand, a book of commitment to do what is right, which is also an excellent book that is interactive and will inspire you to become a champion of character.  I Will Stand by Dawn Foss

Image result for do hard things by alex and brett harris pdfImage result for do hard things by alex and brett harris pdf
                                               



No comments:

Post a Comment